About SHAKTI DANCE the yoga of dance
Shakti Dance® is the ‘yoga of dance’ – A harmonious blend of Flowing Yoga Stretches, Energising Dance Exercises, Free Dance Meditation, Relaxation, and Synchronised Mantra with Movement.
Connect to a space of Inner Peace; Reduce Stress;
Liberate your Body and Mind in Free Expression of the Self!
Shakti Dance® was founded by Sara Avtar Olivier, a life long dancer and 20-year yoga practitioner and teacher. It has roots in the science and tradition of Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan, it implements insights drawn from yogic philosophy to awaken and embody universal principles of harmonious movement, and it also develops an understanding of the qualities and levels of energy induced through different dance movements and styles. The practice flows through 8 phases (detailed below)
The 8 Phases of a Shakti Dance® Class
Shakti Dance® consists of different phases that combine to cleanse and awaken the pranic body, so that the practitioner can access and enjoy the Spirit of Shakti:
1. Tuning in This opens the class with a mantra accompanied by a mudra. It centres and prepares the mind, creating the necessary connection to receive the teachings.
2. Shakti Stretching Rhythmic and meditative floor exercises, flowing in coordination with the breath. This phase warms up, increases flexibility, relaxes and opens energy channels in the body.
3. Standing Exercises Energising exercises and dance sequences, opening the chakras with rhythmic and breath-coordinated movement. Physical awareness is heightened through the isolation of body parts. Harmonious expression is developed through the acquisition of universal principles of free-flowing movement. This phase in particular recharges vitality.
4. Free Dance Taking inspiration from the previous phases, the inherent creative impulse is given free reign to express itself. With increased awareness of the energetic body (aura), a fluid interaction between inner and outer spaces is explored and enjoyed.
5. Relaxation The rhythmic pulsation of mind, body and spirit is allowed to integrate while releasing tensions.
6. Celestial Communication and/or Mantric Choreography A celestial communication or mantric choreography is a moving meditation. This may be sitting or standing and will be done to a mantra. The repeated movement becomes a focus that stills the mind and creates harmonising waves within the aura. These meditations can be very profound, are enjoyable to learn, and create a powerful group matrix when performed in a mandala.
7. Meditation A moment is taken to return to the stillness within, to enjoy the fulfilment of emptiness following the satisfaction of self-expression. This is a chance to bathe in the regenerative space of the Source within.
8. Closing Inner and outer worlds are brought into balance while a protective auric shield is created around each participant.
Click on the name of the event to find out more or go to our calendar for more events, classes and workshops
23rd – 30th May
WELL WOMAN YOGA THERAPY
(Womb Yoga) Teacher Training with Uma Dinsmore-Tuli and Sivani Mata at Gravito
Saturday 30th September
6:30pm – 8:30pm
RHYTHM OF LIFE
Shakti Dance with Sivani Mata at The Life Centre, Islington, N1
20th – 22nd October
A Bhakti Yoga Retreat with Sivani Mata at Nature’s Retreat Centre, Glastonbury, BA6
taught by Sara Avtar (founder), Anjali Rahima and Jo Nimrita.
Consists of 180 hours of tuition and minimum 40 hours private study. 6 non-residential weekends in Bath and 3 residential retreats in Glastonbury/Sussex.
Next one stars July 2016 and finishes April 2017
9 - 10 July, 17 - 18 September, 19 - 20 November, 10 - 11 December 2016, 25 - 26 February and 1 - 2 April 2017 are at New Oriel Hall in Bath
20 - 23 August and 10 - 13 October 2016 are at Earth Spirit Centre near Glastonbury and 26 - 29 January 2017 at Emerson College in Sussex
Shakti Dance Taster Session
At The Yoga Show October 2013
with Sivani Mata
Filmed by Anjali Rahima Kaur